More edible cheese eaters

Ok, so I have been looking into more things that are eaten by people around the world, that from a Western perspective seem rather unsavoury.



Continuing on the cheese theme there is 'Casu Marzu' from Italy. The cheese fly Piophila casei is encouraged to lay its eggs within the cheese. When the eggs hatch the maggots eat the cheese and produce enzymes that help to break down the cheese. When I say edible, this cheese was made illegal in Italy due to hygiene regulations, it can cause strong allergic reactions and the maggots have been known to infect the intestines of those that eat the cheese. However, by having it classified as a tradition, made by a recipe that is unchanged for many years, I believe that a way has been made to produce the cheese once more. The cheese is eaten inclusive of maggots, still alive. The maggots can apparently jump up, aiming for the eyes.



Then I have found Baby Mice Rice Wine. A traditional health tonic, it is made by placing a multitude of baby mice (whilst still alive) in a bottle of rice wine and leaving it for at least a year. Said to taste like petrol. The mice should be young, still bald and blind.

Others include the rotten herring, surströmming, served in Sweden. Boiled sheeps head from Iraq, pacha. Balut a fertilised duck's egg enjoyed in the Philippines, so fully formed there are feathers, a beak and bones to crunch on.



No comments:

Post a Comment