One other form of decoration/applciation that I have not really mentioned up to now is adornment of the body. Do clothes count as this? Decoration. Others would argue that we wear them for practical reasons and for modesty. Although I reckon modesty might be deep seated in aesthetics. The most obvious example of decoration od the body would perhaps be tattoos. As well as piercing and even the more gentille jewellery. Tattoos can be very subjective thing, as is a lot of what I am discussing, about whether things that are applied improve or worsen the appearance of an object. In this case that object is the human boday. Here is an article showing just how subjective it is, with arguments for and against tattooing:

This page from NYLON magazine talks about the recent fashion for temporary body decoration.


Maori at Rodarte

Jean Paul Gaultier

Chanel's temporary tattoos.
No comments:
Post a Comment